Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Female Relief Society of Nauvoo

So, the Relief Society had it's birthday this past month, and as I've been dying to make a Beehive cake for a year now, I volunteered my services to make the cake for the party. However, the Beehive cake wouldn't have been enough to serve everyone, so I decided to make a chocolate cake to accompany it. The Beehive was really easy, cause I just used the Wonder-Mold pan for the top, and to get the beehive shape, I made an 8-inch round cake for the bottom.

For the chocolate cake, I tried doing a silhouette of Emma Smith, but it didn't look good at all, so I made it a little bigger, and did a cut out with paper and stuck it on top and put a giant 168 above that, because the RS is 168 years old!



Also, since I live in Nauvoo, I got to be in the Relief Society Re-enactment again, and once again I got to be Nancy Naomi Alexander Tracy.



This is what I got to say:
The Relief Society was organized with 28 original members, some of whom were not in attendance at the first meeting. In the second meeting, 48 new members were added. I, Nancy Naomi Alexander Tracy, was blessed to be one of them.

Eight subsequent meetings of the Relief Society were held in this room. Sometimes Brother Joseph would come and instruct us. At one time in particular I remember of Emma bringing him in, and he prayed at the opening of the meeting. He was full of the Spirit of God. His whole frame shook and his face shone and looked almost transparent.
(Pauses thoughtfully, then adds with gratitude) Oh, so many great and glorious instructions were given us here in this room.


So, if you ever have the chance go to the Women's Retreat held here in Nauvoo every March. It is incredible, and the speakers amazing, and it's a wonderful bonding experience. My mom and some sisters were able to come last year and it was wonderful to get to share the experience with them.

1 comment:

Ashlee Marie said...

Your cake's look great! good job!